Thursday, October 18, 2012

11th Stop: Azerbaijan






The Zebra Cake from Azerbaijan - kind of looks like a cake-i-fied version of some continent, doesn't it?  Completely unintentional.  As was my over-baking the cake. Arggghh. Sometimes I over-bake. I'm learning. I followed the recipe from very helpful website http://leylasroom.com/food-and-entertainment/zebra-cake/ and yet, another arggghhh, my cake looks nothing like the one from the link above. Nonetheless! My version does look like an intricate rendition of an unknown continent. Here's a close-up:
 
 
 
 
Too bad I couldn't make it look like the actual country of Azerbaijan! But I wasn't going for a continental or country shape, anyhow.  Just got lucky! Here is Azerbaijan, so you can see, not much of a resemblance...or is there...?
 
 
 
 
 
While I did over-bake it, the cake was really fun to make. Here a scoop of cocoa powder stands tall before being blended into the yellow batter:


 
Once the cocoa was blended into the batter, it was spooned in with its non-cocoa counterpart.


 
 
 
I would go back to this recipe to make it again. I wouldn't over-bake it, hopefully. 40 minutes at 350 was too long for my oven. Also, I would add some kind of icing (maybe a dusting of powder sugar) on top to make it sweeter. Maybe because I over-baked it, the cake didn't have much flavor. But I think an icing would make it a total winner.
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment